Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Don't Ask, Don't Tell

I open all our mail. ALL of it. Junk mail too. I open it because David just throws the junk away, without even shredding our information. I am forever afraid I am going to throw away something I need. This past Friday, I received the usual pile o' junk. We tend to get a lot of junk mail, even from our own mortgage company. As usual, I opened them all, including the junk from the mortgage company.....which ended up being a check to us for overpayment on our escrow account. WH00T!!

If you recall, or maybe you don't, we got slammed with property taxes at the end of 2007 that were WAY more than estimated. (No, we don't have an A.R.M. I don't even know why anyone would do that.) All of a sudden, mortgage company is asking us to not only send them an EXTRA check for $790-something dollars to make up for the deficit in the escrow account that pays our property taxes for us, but to also note that our mortgage had gone up by $300,to make upfor future escrow amounts that will be needed. GULP. We dug into savings (a big no-no for me), we cut back on eating out to once or twice a month, other trips, my cake making (sniff) and Christmas shopping for others was cut, and we were fine. And they sent us a refund check. Don't ask, don't tell. It's ours now.

Monday I get a mortgage statement for February. Wait a sec, we already got the February mortgage statement. I opened it up. "Please note your payment schedule has changed." And I noted. It went down $150.00. Wh00t! We're still UP $150 from where it was when we first bought the house, but bringing it back down $150 is better than a poke in the eye with a stick any day.

No comments: