Saturday, October 24, 2009

Whedonverse Carves; Firefly

I was carving some stamps last night and thought I would post some oldies but Goodies. Here are some of my Whedonverse carves.

Inara, Take 1
Here's my first attempt at Inara. I didn't really like it, so I tried again.


Inara carve, take 2
I like this one a little better.

Kaylee
Here's my first attempt at Kaylee. I liked it but didn't think it looked like her.

Kaylee Carve, Take 2
I liked my second attempt much better.

River
My River Tam carve. I really like how this turned out.

Zoe
I am also happy with Zoe.

If you're wondering what I mean by carving stamps, here's what they look like. I took rubber carving medium, transfered the image on to the rubber and carved away using tools like these:

carving set






Click on the Joss Mania tab to see more Whedon-based posts, including more carves I have done. Also check some out on Flickr.

8 comments:

Liz Henderson (Hendel D'bu) said...

Beautiful women, to be sure :-)

I love the River Tam carve...I really need to get into Firefly a bit. I have a suspicion I would like it.

Thanks for sharin' your carves, my friend! They are great!

Ari C'rona said...

Very cool, Kaaren! :o)

Just Me said...

awesome! There is not enough FireFly in this world.

Colleen Marie said...

Hello!! I just found your blog from Epbot. I'm trying to incorporate more art into my classroom, so this year I bought several sheets of the rubber stuff, and 3 brayers, and 6 pots of ink, and 3 sets of carving tools. What do I need to get the picture on the stamping medium? I was just going to have them draw it on, but that seems like it might be hard to fix.
I think we should be friends so I can pick your brain!
cdeighton@shh.bssd.org. I'm in a tiny Eskimo village in Alaska, and can't just run out for supplies, but if I forgot something, can you let me know?
-Colleen

Kaaren said...

Hi Coleen, I just sent you an e-mail. Thanks for stopping by!

Jennwhite said...

Kaaren, so excited to see these! I was carving stamps just like these 20 (ok, 25) years ago in college. Had to use erasers, as they didn't make the larger carving blanks then. And I used a #9 Exacto blade, because clearly I wasn't smart enough to think of using the lino cutting tools. You have amazing work here, so glad I found you! I'm going to dig up those old erasers tomorrow, I still have them!

Kaaren said...

Hi Jenn,

It's so much fun! Enjoy! Check out Michael'ss or online, Mister Art or stampeaz.com if you can't find carving material locally. :)

Raine said...

Hi there! I just got into carving and letterboxing, but im looking for another outlet for my stamps. I love making them but don't know what to do with them afterwards, besides plant a box. Im gonna check out the rest of your blog! oh, btw, came here via Epbot :)