Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Max & Ruby

max and ruby

Isabel's favorite network, and quite possible mine, is Noggin. Great preschool television. She has learned so much from it. So many words and colors, counting, etc. It's rather repetitive, but I think that's the point.

One show that tends to stump Jake and me is "Max and Ruby." It's usually on while I am making dinner; 5 or 5:30 p.m.

It's a cute show. Ruby is a 7 year old girl who takes care of her 3 year old brother Max. Ruby is so polite and sweet and patient. Jake & I are forever groaning (i.e. we'd choke him) at Max and the things he does to test her patience. And test he does.

Only thing is...where are their parents?? It's really weird. Ruby is 7. She's baking, she's setting up a tent for an outside sleepover, she's taking the bus downtown with her brother, she's in a cafe' buying lunch. Where are the parents?

Yes, yes, suspension of disbelief, yada yada. Color me a cynic.

Wikipedia says the same thing though, so it's just not me:

....Max, a rambunctious, anthropomorphised 3-year-old toddler bunny and his big sister, Ruby, a patient, goal-oriented, sometimes restrictive 7-year-old girl bunny. The show presents an uplifting message for its audience by showing Max and Ruby playing together and exercising respect and love in resolving their conflicts.

Oddly enough, it doesn't seem the two bunny children have parents. Even so, they have a grandmother who they are occasionally with. Ruby can be seen in many of the episodes baking cakes, buying Max new overalls and such things you'd expect of a mother. Although a picture of Max, Ruby and their parents can be seen above the fireplace in the show. Max and Ruby are the only two characters to appear in every episode of the show.



That's weird. Even weirder? Me blogging about it. :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've often wondered the same thing about the Peanuts gang. We watch The Great Pumpkin every year at Halloween and I always wonder why is it that Linus is left sleeping outside and Lucy is the one waking him up in the wee hours of the morning to come inside. Don't they know he could catch his death of cold? Why does Lucy have to be the responsible one?

And why are there no chaperones at the Halloween party? A little bit of adult supervision would have totally prevented the cruel teasing and bullying of Charlie Brown.

There is the teacher, but no one can understand a word she says, so what good is she?


PDX Wolf Pack

Anonymous said...

I was trying to come up with a good comment (I have never seen the show, don't have kids, etc). But you saved me... LOVED that last line! HAHAHAHAHA!

Anonymous said...

The parents died in a horrible car accident. Social services where going to make them live with grandmother but she has an alcohol problem that she tries to hide..............lmao

Anonymous said...

Let me start off by confessing that I hate cartoons. I hated them when I was four, I hated them when I was seven, right on up to now, older than dust, still hate cartoons.

So why the hell do I like Max and Ruby? That is just wack. Totally random. Sure, the art is good, I mean as cartoon rabbits go, I can't think of any that are better drawn, or that are um, OK, cuter. I said it. Happy now?

One thing I do notice that I am intrigued by, and what inspired me to comment, is that unlimited, boundless Rubypatience.

I was really glad to see that I'm not the only one who finds it remarkable. Even in fiction about a couple of cartoon bunny rabbits.

My best guess is that I subconsciously identify with Max, and watching what Ruby goes through fills me with immense sympathy for my husband. He is, I guess, my Ruby figure.

I was born without patience, and with a congenital and generalized hatred of cartoons.

The cartoon part never bothered me much, but I have, from time to time, wished that I could learn to have patience, or better, just magically acquire it.

Maybe my totally random, senseless, and inexplicable love for this unspeakably stupid cartoon about these near-infant bunnies is a Sign.

Maybe it all means that having successfully ceased to hate one cartoon, there is still hope that one day I will acquire patience, as mysteriously as I have acquired this absurd affinity for these stupidly loveable rabbits.