Monday, May 12, 2008

Johnny McShort-and-Fat

Lorelai is describing a dream to her daughter Rory.

LORELAI: Yes. And we knew him. He used to live in town. He was that guy who used to run the auto body shop before Maven Hughes bought it. Remember him?

RORY: No.

LORELAI: Yes, you do. He's really skinny

RORY: Peter Stringbean?

LORELAI: No. That was the tall circus freaky guy who worked for him. This was the owner guy. What was his name?

RORY: I don't know.

LORELAI: Yes you do. Come on. Ugh. It's gonna bug me all day. He was short and fat and his name was. . .

RORY: Johnny McShort-and-Fat.

LORELAI: Oh, now, don't mock.


Gilmore Girls

I started renting Gilmore Girls an a recommendation of a MySpace friend. A little late, I know. See the poster? It says "Life's Short, Talk Fast." They weren't kidding. They go 100 mph and the writing is fantastic. I told David "No one talks like this is real life!" It reminds me of another show I said the SAME exact thing about when it came out:


Dawsons Creek


Anyway, we're really enjoying the writing. They don't dumb-it-down. The literary, art, pop-culture, political, etc. references that permeate the dialogue is fun. Some I get, some I say "Huh?" The "Johnny McShort-and-Fat" had be laughing out loud...alone. One of the actors said he'd never worked with such prolific writers before. To him I say yes, except check out *Joss.* :) and whoever wrote Dawson's Creek, too.

We just finished Season 1 and are looking forward to Season 2.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

GG is great. I got into the show late also and really enjoyed the DVDs.

Now you just need to watch the Wire and you'll have pretty much the same TV favorites as I do.

-Screw

Kaaren said...

Hey Arch,

Thanks for stopping by. I'll have to see what The Wire is about.

Anonymous said...

I love Gilmore Girls!! You haven't seen any episodes until NOW?!?!?!?

Kaaren said...

I know Kelli! I watched maybe 3-4 episodes in their entirety during GG's run.

I am not a patient person. I hate waiting for "next week's episode." The advent of DVD seasons coming out immediately after the season's end has helped fuel my impatient nature. :)

Anonymous said...

Yes I love the way they talk so fast also. Especially the mom. She seems like the child and the daughter is the mom.