Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Lost in Translation

I've been reading a lot of classic books lately (Crime and Punishment, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Dante's Inferno, Purgatory and Paradise,) and stating how good/bad they were for me.

I read an introduction to one of them and got to thinking about these works I have been reading lately. These books are all translated; respectively, from Russian, French and Italian. I am basing part of my opinion on the translator of these works. One book even had the person writing the introduction disagreeing with the translator on some turns of phrases.

Things do get lost in translation. I see it all the time between English and Spanish. Slang that does not translate, idioms and dialects can't be explained well in another language and get lost.

It's too bad that we don't become more learned in other languages like other countries do. It would be great to read a Classic in its original form.

By the way, my book posts are going to be a little slow in April:

I'm reading the Russian epic, "WAR AND PEACE."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

How about a background with Cakes, letterboxing, and books ? That is you. That certain someone gets saved once again! Rental!

Kaaren said...

I tried looking for one with books and had no luck.

LOL - Yea, he was coming to get me, but knowing him and getting Isabel ready, it would have taken an hour. Thank God for the free rental.

Anonymous said...

Maybe I can find you something or make you something. I will try later.