Monday, September 14, 2009

One Thing After Another

Isabel's weekend was BAD. Bad, bad, bad.

1. She cracked a tooth that was already dead. A baby tooth. This happened of course on Saturday morning at 8 a.m, when no dental offices are open. She ate all of 3/4 of a Pop Tart (that caused the crack) and a "Dora" yogurt, before things got worse.

2. While David washed the vehicles, she stepped, barefoot, into an ant pile. She did not realize it until they were all around both feet and ankles, and they started biting. After David hosed her off, he sent her in, soaking wet and crying. I carried her up to my bath tub, undressed and washed her legs, applied ointment and gave her a chewable Children's Benadryl, to help with the itchy bites. This pill I had to cut with my teeth and then feed to her piece by piece. She could not bite with the front teeth. I dressed her in pj's, although it as only mid afternoon, and put her to bed for a nap. A nap that she didn't even complain about.

3. When she woke up from her nap, hurling happened. We think the lack of food plus the Children's Benadryl caused the reaction. there was nothing *in* her stomach to vomit, so it was this clear, mucous. She and I hung out watching "My Neighbor Totoro" and we eventually slept together that evening in the "mattress room." It's an empty spare bedroom with misc. toys, book shelves, a tv, dvd player and a mattress on the floor. Since her bed is so high, I wanted her closer to the floor and the trash can. Six times that evening we both woke so she could vomit the clear bile into the can. Poor sweet heart!!

4. Sunday, she awoke with a ferocious appetite, which we had to abate slowly, with soft foods eaten with her back teeth; oatmeal, bread, pancakes for lunch/early dinner, lots of juices and milk. she ran a low-grade fever all day, but managed to keep all her food down.



I am too tired to go into what happened today with dentists and oral surgeons.

We leave tomorrow for Panama. David's mom has all the authorization forms needed to provide medical care for the kids. Keep us in your thoughts as we travel, and my MIL and kids as they stay here this week.

4 comments:

Ari C'rona said...

Oh, I am so sorry - she (and you) must've been just miserable. I'll be praying that all goes well while you're away. :o/

The Foil Hat said...

What awful way to have to leave town. Lots of prayers and good thoughts for all of you. ((()))

Liz Henderson (Hendel D'bu) said...

Oh man, that's awful! :-/

I'm hoping all is going well while you are on vacation, my friend.

Big Sis said...

Poor baby