Thursday, September 10, 2009

I'm Getting Old

My body's just breaking down the older I get, apparently.

About 3 months ago, my right knew started to hurt. Again. It's all totally my fault. At the age of 18 or 19, I was a work-out fiend. I would work out 6-7 days a week. High impact aerobics. Even with my knees hurting, I'd work out.

I'm paying for my youthful stupidity now. It comes and goes, the knee pains. I even went to physical therapy about 5 years ago for the right knee. I could not get my leg flat on the floor or in bed no matter how long I tried. The therapy worked.

The knee pains come in cycles. I really have not noticed why or at what intervals. They just hurt and then they don't.

So, 3 months ago, pain. I stopped working out for a month. NOT good. Ugh. Then I started back up again, but last week Wednesday, *pop.* My right knee gave a ping of pain 45 minutes into an hour workout.

Here I am, a week and a half later. I've started dieting again. Normally I eat whatever I want, and work out to maintain. Since I can't work out, I'm having to diet. I hate to diet, but there it is. This Tuesday, I took a 45 minute brisk walk with the kids (Isabel in a stroller because she cannot keep up, and she stops to pick up every yellow weed "flower" and dandelion around). Yesterday, I did a quick 35 minute work-out, wearing a knee brace. I only had a few awkward moments while wearing the brace, but did fine. Today? Shin splint. I'm telling you, I am falling apart.

Tonight, the kids and I will walk the 1.8 miles to Jake's Open House and the 1.8 miles back. I need all the exercise I can get. I need to NOT diet.

3 comments:

Liz Henderson (Hendel D'bu) said...

Gosh, don't feel alone, my friend. Someone needs to be shot for inventing those hi-impact aerobics. And I couldn't just DO it, I had to TEACH it! What a ditz!

Anyway, wanna talk about hips? How 'bout ankles? Nah, didn't think so.

Try yoga.

:-)

The Foil Hat said...

Here, I'll scoot over and you can sit with me on the broken-down old people couch.

Ari C'rona said...

Between you and Hendel, I just have to chuckle. Just so you know, even if you haven't done those high impact things, you still have aches and pains when you get old. I abused my body in different ways...

I was just gonna say 'try yoga', but Hendel beat me to it! lol! :o)