Sunday, May 3, 2009

500 Cakes

As you all know, I love experimenting with pretty cake designs, but have been having some not-so-good luck with cake recipes. Usually, the cake decorating books recommend a Madeira cake to work with. Madeira cakes are excellent for shaping and carving, because they are dry as the desert! No desert desserts here.

While at Books-A-Million, I perused the baking sections. They have a great selection of cake recipe books, as well as cake decorating books. After looking through all of them, I purchased "500 Cakes: The Only Cake Compendium You'll Ever Need, " by Susannah Blake.



It's a small book, maybe 5" x 5" but it's full of a lot of different cake recipes, like classic cakes, coffee cakes, cheesecakes, tortes & gateaux, etc.

I have already attempted two recipes (banana cake and classic wedding) and I am impressed with the tastes. Tomorrow evening's attempt: Coffee & Praline Layer Cake. I'll let you know how it goes.

3 comments:

Kristin aka kjnohr aka Trekkie Gal said...

Not sure if you have ever seen Cake Wrecks, but since you are such a cake-y person, you should check it out. :) I find myself shaking my head a lot because I can't believe bakers would actually produce some of those cakes.
http://cakewrecks.blogspot.com/

Kaaren said...

Yes, over on my cake blog, I have a link on my side bar to cake wrecks. Love that site.

. . . Lisa and Robb . . . said...

Do you read Smitten Kitchen? Her cakes look yummy! She seems to be more about the flavor than anything else.

http://smittenkitchen.com/