Saturday, June 6, 2009

Long Lost Friends

Once upon a time, I lived in a small rental neighborhood in Oviedo (a one-man corporation owned about 12 duplexes) with lots of nosey neighbors. *grin* Most were terrific though. In the "group" were me, Kathy and Julie. Crazy Irish Kathy and her loud family, skinny skinny Julie from New Yoahk and quiet shy me. Yes, me. Quiet and shy. I was married to my ex and I was lost in someone I wasn't.


I eventually left my ex, straight from that neighborhood, but I kept Julie and Kathy's number. They each bought homes in Winter Springs and we would do "girls night," usually at a karaoke bar or Pleasure Island.

The years took Kathy way to the panhandle of Florida, I bought my first home in Longwood with just Jacob. Julie and I still hung out and her new neighborhood friends became my new friends. She had a very close-knit neighborhood of young 20 & 30-somethings. It was a fun time.

Job transfers took Julie and her family (2 kids and hubby) to N. Carolina and then to Minnesota. I have not seen her in five years. She was the glue to the group, the common denominator to how we all knew each other, and we all slowly moved out of the neighborhood into bigger homes.
Julie, ever faithful, calls at least once a month. Five years later, we still talk monthly. She came down this weekend for a 5-day weekend, and the "group" (minus Kathy in Pensacola) was back.

Dinner Saturday night catching up with old friends was followed by a pool party Sunday afternoon at one of the friend's new home in a beautiful gated community. We were all so glad to see each other. I miss having them around. I sent the family who hosted the party a homemade thank you card, with my address and number. I hope we can keep in touch.

Isabel and Jake enjoy the community pool.


David enjoys the shade.

The males in our party enjoy a Cornhole Tournament.

Julie and I. And no. Regardless of how much weight I have lost, there will be no bathing suit pictures.
He's weird, I know.

1 comment:

Liz Henderson (Hendel D'bu) said...

There is something so comforting about getting together with friends that we have had for many years, huh? Thanks so much for posting the pics - they are fun. And you look awesome, bathing suit or no. :-)