Sunday, February 10, 2008

Where the Red Fern Grows

Because I'm stuck literally in Purgatory, I took a break and read "Where the Red Fern Grows" by Wilson Rawls.

red fern grows

Written in 1961, and set even earlier, this sweet tale is about a young boy and his hunting hounds, Old Dan and Little Ann. It shows country life at a time when it was a wonder and a dream. Billy saves for two years, an incredible feat for a boy, to save $50, to buy two hunting dogs. The story told from Billy's eyes, is a coming-of-age tale. It is bittersweet, and although I did not cry, my eyes teared up at the end, with Little Ann's actions. It was sad that his parents never truly understood the depth of his love for those dogs. A book more for children, I read it just because I never had as a child.

No comments: