Saturday, January 14, 2012

5k Update

The day after I registered for the 5k was a Saturday. The very next day.  December 3, I think.  I decided to try and test my running outside, rather than just on my treadmill.

David and Isabel volunteered to ride their bikes while I ran/walked.  I had figured out how far 1.5 miles was one way, and decided to run there and back.  A 5k is just a little over 3 miles; 3.1 miles.  I was not concerned about the .1.  I just wanted to make sure that I could complete 3 miles in under 50 minutes.

I ran, I walked, I ran, I walked.  1.5 miles to Isabel's school, 1.5  miles back.  David would yell times and Isabel would yell "Go mom!"

I made it back in 44 minutes!  I was stoked! I was red as a tomato.  I was happy!

Then, my knees started to complain.  They swelled up.  I iced them. I elevated them.   It was bad.  My knees never hurt from the treadmill at all, but I guess concrete does not "give" like a treadmill.  Who knew? LOL  Sunday, December 4th, I was supposed to take the kids to Busch Gardens.  That never happened.  Sunday morning, and I could barely get out of bed.

Three weeks later, and my knees were still hurting. I was in a PANIC about the 5k.  I was freaking out!  I mean, I could barely walk.  THREE WEEKS LATER.

I guess my shoes might have not been the best thing either.  A Fairy God-Person at work bought me a pair of $120 shoes, plus $20 cushioned insoles for Christmas! Seriously!!!

They have this weird back thing and feel WONDERFUL.  See the heel?  It's open for shock-absorption.  I've been waearing then and started to walk on the treadmill.  I've been icing my knees, elevating my feet, taking it easy.  And feeling better!!  Not 100% but WAY better than before.

I have until February 25.  I still don't have anyone running with me, which makes me sad and I am a little freaked that I have to leave my house at 3 a.m. to get there by 4 a.m. I almost want to stay on site, but that's $149 I really don't want to spend.  Jacob will need to set me up with some running music on my teeny nano-fake ipod thingy.

Here's hoping I make it!

1 comment:

Niki said...

I believe you can do it!
Mayhaps you should consider working up to the 3 miles on the road... ;-)