Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Sci-Fi Hoedown: Stargate Universe Season 1

My hubby is a huge Stargate fan. We own all 10 Seasons of SG1 and all 5 of Atlantis. I've watched them all one time through. He's watched them at least two to three times through.

When they announced a new show, Stargate Universe, we decided to give it a try.

stargate Pictures, Images and Photos


Here's a brief synopsis from stargateuniversetvshow.com:

A team of scientists and soldiers from the Icarus Base, are forced to evacuate their secret base and end up on the failing ancient spaceship Destiny in the farthest part of the universe, with no idea how to get home.

After unlocking the mystery of the Stargate's Ninth Chevron, a team of explorers led by Dr. Nicholas Rush and Colonel Everett Young travel to an unmanned starship called the Destiny, launched by the Ancients millions of years ago, at the height of their civilization as a grand experiment to seed galaxies with Stargates. They had plans for a second ship that would follow it up and explore those planets. This plan was set in motion, but it was abandoned
when the Ancients began concentrating on ascension.

What starts as a simple reconnaissance turns into a never ending mission, as the Stargate Universe crew discovers they are trapped on the ship, unable to change the programmed mission, or return to Earth, and they must now fend for themselves aboard the Destiny. They will encounter new races, new technology and new enemies, as the runaway ship takes them to the far ends of the universe.

I started to watch season 1, but about half-way through, I gave up. The redundant infighting between the military personnel and the medical/scientific staff was driving me nuts. I know the creators wanted a more realistic, true-to-life show. They did that, I totally agree, but I grew tired. It was the same back-stabbing every other episode.

About 4 months later I picked the series back up, because how can I review it, if I never finished it? As much as it pains me to say it, because I'll get an "I told you so" from David, I am actually glad I did. The writing hit its stride mid-season. There was still some infighting, but it was not the main theme of every flipping episode. SO glad they got over that. They have to gel as a team if they are going to survive. They finally get a common enemy to join them; actually more than one set of enemies. It makes you want to root for them rather than wishing the ship would blow up.

Kudos to actor Robert Carlyle as Dr. Nicholas Rush; he's so good because he made me HATE his character for the first half, and was the top reason I gave up on the series. The writers humanized him later on, thank goodness.

Louis Ferreira is well-placed as Colonel Everett Young. He was a realistic leader and I enjoyed his work.

Ming-Na's "Camile Wray" was just tedious; her character did not deserve that loving girlfriend at home. "Chloe Armstrong" = waste of space, while "Eli Wallace" is a waste of a wonderful character. The tight shirts and "cold" conditions for Lt. James are extremely ridiculous *eyeroll* Men.

Also, MICHAEL SHANKS guest starring! I would have missed that (plus O'Neill and Carter, yea, yea) had I not continued. *fanning self* Great Gobs of Gorgeousness! The man STILL looks good!


Make it through the first 10 episodes or so, and it gets better. I am looking forward to seeing Season 2.


No comments: