Sunday, February 7, 2010

Loudly Laughing

I've come to realize I laugh like my mom now. I startled myself last week when, laughing heartily, I heard my mother's laugh coming out of my mouth. I find it so weird and yet not, you know?

It first occurred to me that I look like my mom more than my dad now when I was in labor with my son, 16 years ago. In video my ex took (not of the birth itself, just me in the room), I was in pain and furrowed my brow. Replaying the scene, I see my mom in that brow and I'm shocked. I've always looked like dad, what's this?

The crazy thing? I'm laughing (loudly. I guffaw) at something that is giving me pleasure, and I hear my mom. Then I miss her a bit and get a touch of melancholy.

The great thing? I can still pick up the phone and hear her laugh.

2 comments:

Liz Henderson (Hendel D'bu) said...

love this post - you must know I can relate completely :-)

The older I get the more my mother has left her body and taken up residence in mine...

Big Sis said...

So Sweet ;)