Monday, August 20, 2012

Remember Murphy's Law?

mur·phy's law/ˈmərfēz/
A supposed law of nature, expressed in various humorous popular sayings, to the effect that anything that can go wrong will go wrong.


This was my Saturday, to the EXTREME. See, we had plans to be at Stetson University (Go Hatters!) at around 12:30 p.m. As a commuter, we had in get Jacob there between 12:30 p.m. and 2:00 p.m. for Freshman check-in and orientation. Stetson had this amazing calendar of events for parents and students for the entire weekend.

The previous Thursday, we found a car we decided to buy him in lieu of the one I damaged.  Instead of going back Friday, which meant a lot of traveling back and forth for David, we decided to arrive at 9:00 a.m. at the used car lot, get everything done and be out of there by at the latest 12:00 p.m.

What went wrong....hmmmm...... what went wrong.

1) The salesman arrived...at 9: 40 a.m.  We were not the first ones waiting, so we had to wait for him to help the first person there.  After test driving the car, we decided to go for it.  It was about 10:30 a.m. by the time the paperwork was (hand) written up.

2) The used car lot is not modern.  At all.  They did not have a credit card machine (we were going to use debit and use $$ set aside for this purchase) and did not accept personal checks.  Bank checks or money orders.  We drove to the bank 2 blocks away.  Closed on a Saturday.  We went to another branch another 1/2 mile away.  Closed on a Saturday.  I spent a frustrating 10 minutes on the bank's automated phone lines trying to speak to a human.  The automated systems kept telling me banks with atm's, not banks open on Saturday.  While I struggled, David sent a text to a co-worker who knew the area and told us about a bank about 15 minutes away that was open until 1 p.m.  It was about 11:15 a.m. by the time we made the trip, got the bank check and got back.

3) The used car lot wanted two proofs of residency in the form of bills to my house.  I knew this from Thursday.  I grabbed 2 bills.  One had only David's name and they would not accept it.  (Side Bar:  I am paying CASH for a car. Why do you CARE where I live? I am not financing anything!)  David had to drive 25 minutes home / 25 minutes back.  In the meantime....

4) The car lot would not accept what my insurance company, State Farm, had told me over the phone earlier; any car we buy automatically is insured under the policy for 14 days.  Automatically.  This is State Farm, people, not Joe Schmoe insurance.  The car lot wanted written, faxed proof that this car had coverage, and the VIN had to be included on the fax.  I call State Farm, get everything started and then...

5) BOOM!  A car accident down the street, involving a car hitting a power box, caused the power to go out at the dealership.  State Farm could not fax or email the letter.  Used car lot guy could not make a photo copy of all my bills and insurance card, etc. etc.  Used car lot guy spent 1/2 an hour walking up and down the street looking for someone with power, and with a copier.

I take the kids across the street to eat while we wait for power to be restored.  THAT side of the street had power.  David finally returns with the danged bill that can't even be copied.

By this time, it's 1 p.m.  We're supposed to be at Stetson by 2.  Jake is panicking.  I am not blaming him.  I cannot leave the lot because

7) The car is in my name, so the lot won't let David wait for the power so he can finally get the tag.  With the power out, they can't log into the DMV to get some forms they need printed, and they won't let David drive off the lot with it.

I send David, Jacob and Isabel off to Stetson without me.  I spend the next hour and a half waiting for the power to come on under a canopy in Florida's summer heat.  I am a sweat ball.  Jacob makes it to Stetson at 2:05 and gets his registration packet but misses out on a bunch of freebies.  David and a hyper Isabel sit through the first of many parent conferences.  He's giving me a play-by-play via text messages.

I spend my time talking scholarships with the then-surly receptionist who becomes super-nice once I start explaining to her the ways around scholarships, Florida Bright Futures, etc.  We spent a good 45 minutes discussing her daughter and what she needs to do to get financial aid for college.

The power comes back on.  I get everything I need and leave the lot at 3:00 p.m.  Three Pee Emm, people.

I go to Stetson to relieve David so he can take a super-tired Isabel home and I take my spot as "Parent of Jacob F." for the rest of the evening's events.

8) My phone dies from overuse.

9) The camera batteries died.  The spare ones I purposefully brought with me were dead ones.


Remember these lyrics?  "Got it all together don't ya baby?  Murphy's Law, is sure out to get you."



4 comments:

♥♦Bren Duh♦♥ said...

Good thing is you got it all done :)

Kaaren said...

Totally true. It was painful, but it was done!

Niki said...

Wow. Just, wow.

♥♦Bren Duh♦♥ said...

I would have lost my mind. I don't think I would have been able to handle all that stress.I would have killed someone. lol