Sunday, July 3, 2011

Gymnastics at Disney's Wide World of Sports

David's sister is a gymnastics coach.  She owns her own studio in Chattanoga, TN and this weekend was  the AAU Gymnastics Age Group National Championships 2011 at Disney's Wide World of Sports.   We decided to head down for the day on Saturday and check out what was going on.  A lot of events that David's sister's team had to compete in had already happened on Friday, but with work and all, we could not make it until Saturday.  The day pass was $15 for us, $10 for kids 3-9.  Not bad.   Jacob stayed home to go attend a party at 3 p.m. at a friend's house.





Welcome to the Thunderdome.  :)

Isabel (center) learns how to make sports Avatars with her cousins Ellianna & Emily.

Here's one she made.  Cute!


Ellianna, Juliette and Isabel.  Cousins.  I wish we lived closer.  Isabel LOVES her  cousins
Ellianna had already competed by the time we arrived, but Emily still had to go up.  Juliette does not compete, and neither does their big brother Ethan (4 siblings).

We ate $4 pretzels and watched all these talented girls compete.

Emily on the uneven bars

Emily on the beam, her favorite event.
We were there for about 5 hours or so.  Jennifer and family were there for way more; at least 10, but smart mom & dad Leif packed a TON of food, snacks and supplies so the kids wouldn't have meltdowns.  They were very good.

After awards ceremonies for that day, and a little annoying 30 minute delay that I will post about later, we headed over to their hotel to eat dinner by the pool and go swimming.

(Side note: At dinner, Jennifer asked how I enjoyed the meat.  I said "It was ok" and then after two seconds passed, "click."  She meant the Meet, not the Meat I had eaten.  I burst out laughing and, pointing to my plate, said "Ohhh, the gymnastics meet, not my hamburger meat!" )






They had poolside karaoke and David got up to sing.  I have video from my cell phone, but I have been warned to delete it.  Heh heh.  Isabel had a blast, but I can't wait until her swimming lessons at the Y next week so she can no longer be afraid of the water.

And that was our fun day with David's family.  No pictures of the boys though (David, Jennifer's husband Leif and son Ethan.  Jacob was not there)  Bad photographer!   

1 comment:

Big Sis said...

U did a BrenDuh! ;)