Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Don't Make Eye Contact, Maybe They'll Go Away

A funny thing happened at the checkout line. I got in the wrong line.

You know when you do that, and can't get out because now you're boxed in with someone behind you? Unfortunately, I did not realize that the 3 ladies in front of me were sharing one cart. I was trying not to make eye contact, really. The pajama-clad women were scary.

The women, and I use the word loosely, say they don't want to take the heavy things out from under the cart (3 gallons of milk and some t.p.) They make the cashier walk around to scan everything. Next to the checkout are the reusable cloth totes. You know, like the ones I use. One of these women starts talking about what a pain in the %^& they are. Another one mentions how they get gross. The cashier is just nodding. They are using way more profanity than ever needed, especially in front of the 3-4 year toddler in their cart swigging on his Coke. All the while, I am loading my groceries onto the conveyor belt and trying to ignore as one of the three ladies is asking the cashier to "try running $20 on this one, and then do the rest on this one," handing the cashier different credit/debit cards.

After they finally leave, I hand the cashier my bags and say "Here are my pain-in-the-butt bags." She looks at me to see if I'm offended, but I'm smiling. She smiles back and says "I wasn't about to say anything negative to those 3," and I said I completely understood.

She went on to say that she uses them, and I mentioned how I throw them in the wash every so often to get them clean. We said our goodbyes and I left with my $100+ grocery shopping loot nicely packed into 5 totes.

1 comment:

Liz Henderson (Hendel D'bu) said...

It never ceases to amaze me what you can see at the grocery store. :-/

I use totes, too.