Miss Manners again. I've been seeing a lot of "me" vs. "I" errors on ze old Book of Face, and thought I would share.
Read these sentences and tell me which one is correct.
1) This picture is of my daughter and I at the zoo.
2) This picture is of my daughter and me at the zoo.
Which one is right? That would be # 2. Why? Without getting into first person singular subject pronouns vs. object pronouns, yada yada, let me explain a quick rule I use. Remove the "daughter" part of the sentence. Would you say "This picture is of I at the zoo?" No, you'd say "This picture is of me at the zoo."
3) She and I* went to the store for shotgun shells.
4) She and me* went to the store for shotgun shells.
Which is right? # 3. Again, remove the other person. Would you say "I went to the store" or "Me went to the store?"
One more time!
5) Mom told Brenda and I to clean up our room.
6) Mom told Brenda and me to clean up our room.
Remove Brenda (Sorry, sis! I'll clean it!) and see which one is correct.
*edited by order of the Jedi Council.